Senior Legal Counsel
Location: Montreal, Full Time, Mid-Level Experience
Who we are:
Valnet Inc. is a digital media company that specializes in content distribution. Valnet has rapidly grown to become a leader and global trendsetter in content creation and distribution.
A place of cutting edge innovation and fierce digital content experts, Valnet is taking editorial and video publishing to the next level. Our overarching vision and mission statement: distribute editorial and video content to millions of viewers daily across our websites, YouTube Channels, and Social Media platforms.
Valnet is seeking a Senior Legal Counsel to manage and advise on various legal matters, including mergers and acquisitions (M&A), corporate affairs, commercial contracts, intellectual property matters, litigation/dispute management, employment matters, data privacy and compliance. The Senior Legal Counsel will report to the VP, Legal Affairs. This is an exciting opportunity with a successful and fast growing company for a lawyer looking to have a broad, varied and intellectually stimulating practice.
- Work with the M&A team on acquisitions, including pre-acquisition documents (NDAs, LOIs, etc.), due diligence, drafting of closing documents and post-acquisition integration/matters.
- Draft and review various commercial agreements, including licensing, marketing and advertising agreements, and analyze/advise business units on specific clauses/issues in contracts.
- Assist in developing and updating policies, procedures and guidelines for the Legal Department.
- Create new contract templates and update existing templates as needed.
- Advise on employment related-matters.
- Manage disputes and litigation, including IP and contractual disputes.
- Ensure compliance with corporate and other regulatory requirements, including with respect to the company’s foreign subsidiaries.
- Ensure the Company complies with applicable data privacy legislation, including updating website privacy policies.
- BCL, LLB, or JD degree.
- Member of the Quebec Bar, or another law society of any Canadian province with a permit to practice in-house in Quebec.
- Common Law degree and qualification in a U.S. state considered an asset.
- 4 to 6 years of experience at a reputable law firm and/or in an in-house legal department; mixed private practice and in-house experience will be considered an asset.
- Experience in M&A required.
- Experience drafting/negotiating commercial agreements preferred.
- Experience in IP and data privacy will be considered an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Team player, with strong interpersonal skills.
- Business savvy, with management skills.
- Hardworking and motivated individual who is a self-starter and can work independently.
- Ability to meet deadlines and balance a variety of requests and mandates in a fast-paced environment.